So you have finally had enough of working all hours of the day and night for someone else. You are fed up with being bossed around and told that your ideas are useless by someone who has no idea whats going on. You are fed up of chasing the next promotion, jumping through hoops only to get no where.
I think what often happens is that people realise that they are not able to live the life they want if they stay in this role. For example, perhaps family is important to them and that job takes all their time and they never get to be with their kids. If the job you do takes away from the things that are important to you then of course you are going to resent it.
You have decided that its time to take matters into your own hands. You have decided that you want to be in control of your future! You have decided to build a business that helps you achieve what is important to you in life. That could be more flexibility so you can see your kids, or it could be to change world, it could be both, it could be any number of things.
This is AWESOME!
I get so excited when someone decides to make the leap from employed to being a business owner.
It is a terrifying leap to make! You are losing the “security” that you believe you have from a set salary each month. It is terrifying because all a sudden it is now entirely on you (which is a good thing, but it feels scary). I tell you this because you are not alone in this feeling. Everyone will be having a minor freak out at the actual though of leaving their job.
One question I get asked a lot is how do I make the leap from being employed to launching my own business?
Do I just quit my job and go for it?
The honest answer is it depends. If you have savings and can afford to not be in work for a couple months while you build your business then sure do that, and spend ALL of your time focusing on growing your business. There is nothing like the fear of not having any income coming in to give you a giant kick up the backside to get moving!
If you are setting up a business that will compete with your current employers then also this may be your only option. But there are ways round it, and in fact if you do this right your current employer could become a client (more on that in a future post)!
But if you don’t have that backup of savings then here is what I would do…..
Start building your business while in employment. Spend your mornings, evenings, your lunch breaks, anytime you can on building your business. Ideally, you get some clients that you see outside of work hours, or you start selling your product, so that when you do make the leap you aren’t left with zero income.
The mistake I see most people make is this… they quit their job, buy a pack of business cards and then panic that they don’t have any clients.
You Must Become A Real Business Owner – You Must Master Marketing & Sales
Remember, just because you are GREAT at what you do (and I know you are otherwise you probably wouldn’t be considering this), does not mean you will immediately have tons of customers and clients. This might be the most important point I make in this post! One reason people set up on their own is because they think they can make a better product than their employer or provide a better service. Whilst that maybe true that is not as important as you might think to really growing your business. In order to grow your business you need to learn… BUSINESS!
You need to learn how to market and sell your products and services. These are the key skills you must master in order to grow your business.Being great at what you do is NOT enough. Master the skills of marketing & sales to ensure success. Click To Tweet
This where almost all people who fail or give up fall down. They did not have the business skills to grow. The fact that you are here and reading this, and hopefully reading other posts on this site puts you in a much better position.
However you decide to do this the most important thing is that you have a plan that you execute!
Here is what I would do…
Start Building Your List
Before you start you need to know this…..Who do you want to work with?
What type of client would you like? What problems do they have that you can solve? What interests do they have? Where do they spend their time? How old are they? How much do they earn? Where do they live? Do they have kids? What are their key problems that you can solve? Know your target market in detail. Then we can dive into the rest:
- Set Up A Blog/Website – around the topic of interest to your potential clients and your business. You can do this for free using WordPress – or if you want a nice template, there are thousands to choose from and you can buy them for like £30-£60. Check out Themeforest for some great WordPress themes.
- Set Up A Lead Magnet – a free guide, or video, something of value that they will happily give you their name and email in return for. I recommend you set up a nice landing page to promote this from, you can do this using ClickFunnels, try it out for 14 days for free to see if you like it, just click here. There are also other companies you can sue such as LeadPages or OptimisePress, my favourite is ClickFunnels as you have you contact management system included. This means your email list builds in here and you don’t have to link up Aweber or Infusionsoft or MailChimp. Here is one of my landing pages built in minutes using ClickFunnels –> Level 10 Living Free Guide
- Write Several Blogs & Post Them – interesting articles, fun to read, inspiring, helpful, how to guides. Information that is going to be useful in some way to your target audience. Write a new blog each week and post it. If you don’t have time to write blogs, then do videos. Video is HUGE in todays world and a quick, and extremely effective way to get in front of your audience.
- Drive traffic to the blog and lead magnet – even just a few pounds a day, driving traffic from Facebook to your blog to start building an audience. Set up ads, or boost posts on your page. Make sure you target your ideal audience with these ads.
- Build relationships – provide content each week on the blog, each day on a Facebook page. Get to know your audience and get them to engage with you.
- Get Ready To Launch – What product or service are you offering? Once you have built an audience and built a relationship with them you now have earned the opportunity to pitch your product or service. Over the past few weeks you have been providing amazing content, that has really helped your audience. Now they are ready to work with you. So give them the opportunity. Plan out your launch process, perhaps a series of emails or a video sales letter. Then TEST….test your web forms, if you are taking payments online, test them. Test everything before launching.
- LAUNCH 😃 – It’s go time! Don’t let fear stop you now! Just hit send and lets do this!
- Quit Your Job 😃 – hopefully you now have enough clients or product sales to give you the confidence to leave your job and do what you love full time!
The key throughout this process is to offer extremely high levels of VALUE! Give away your best stuff, educate people, help get a result with your teachings and entertain people. people buy from people who they know like and trust.
I am so excited for you to be on this journey! Being a business owner is hard work but its so rewarding! You are responsible for your success in life! Just make sure you have a plan and you execute!
I look forward to hearing about your new business venture. Any questions or comments just leave them below and I will be sure to answer them!